Stadia - Venues in Germany
Originally designed by architect Werner March and built between 1934-36 for around 42 million Reichsmark, American sprinter Jesse Owens won four gold medals here at the Olympic Games in 1936. Today, one of the avenues leading to the ground bears the great runner's name. Since 1985, the German Cup Final has been played in the stadium, which received a facelift prior to hosting three games in the 1974 FIFA World Cup.
Known nationwide as the Bundesliga's opera-house, the Westfalenstadion was originally built for the 1974 FIFA World Cup. Borussia Dortmund play their home games here in front of what is almost always a sell-out crowd. Some 25,000 of these fans roar on their beloved Borussia from the famous South Stand, renowned for striking fear into the hearts of the visitors.
The new Waldstadion is being built on the same site as its previous incarnation, which was erected in the 1920s and renovated for the 1974 FIFA World Cup and again for the 1988 European Championships. Fondly remembered occasions in the history of the "old" Waldstadion include the waterlogged FIFA World Cup game between Poland and West Germany in 1974, and the Muhammad Ali vs Karl Mildenberger bout in 1966.
The AufSchalke Arena was officially opened on 13 and 14 August 2001. The Arena, which is located next to the old Parkstadion, immediately set new standards in the art of building stadia. "This stadium is a pilot project for the whole world", praised FIFA President Joseph Blatter. On 20 November 2002, the Arena hosted the Germany vs Holland international match.
The new Hamburg Stadium opened its doors on 2 September 2000 for the international encounter between Germany and Greece. The showcase stadium and especially the local fans now keenly await the next visit from the German National Team. Uwe Seeler, for one, guarantees a "certain three points" for the German side if the team plays here during the 2006 FIFA World CupTM.
The Niedersachsenstadion was completed in 1954 and has been home to Hannover 96 since 1959. Both Brazil and Holland played matches here during the 1974 FIFA World Cup.
The Fritz-Walter-Stadion first opened its doors in 1920. Built on the Betzenberg mountain, the ground takes its name from the German 1954 FIFA World Cup captain, and is home to FC Kaiserslautern.
The predecessor to today's modern FIFA World Cup Stadium was the Müngersdorfer Stadion, the only completely covered stadium in Germany when it was built in 1975. Today's ground is home to FC Köln.
The "old" Zentralstadion, which opened in 1956, was once the largest stadium in Germany, with a capacity of 100,000.
The originally planned reconstruction of the FIFA World Cup Stadium Munich was rejected after a local referendum voted in favour of a new, purpose-built football stadium in Munich.
The Franken-Stadion first opened its doors in 1991. Capacity is to be increased by various measures, including lowering the pitch and adding new stands.
The (previously-named) Neckar-Stadion was built in 1933 based on a design by architect Paul Bonatz. From 1949-51, a new open stand was built opposite the main stand and between 1955-56, the Cannstatter and Untertürkheimer ends were extended. Further extensions followed in 1971-73 and 1974 (main stand), and the pitch was modernised in 1990.